The CGIAR Research Program on Grain Legumes and Dryland Cereals (CRP-GLDC) brings together the specialized knowledge and expertise of seven CGIAR centres – ICRISAT, IITA, ICARDA, ICRAF, ILRI, IWMI, Bioversity International – and three advanced research institutes – CSIRO, CIRAD and IRD.
GLDC also works in close partnership with a wide array of organizations, including Apex and Sub-Regional Organizations, National Agriculture Research Extension Systems (NARES) in target countries, nongovernmental organizations, Advanced Research Institutes, Farmer Producer Organizations and private sector companies.
CRP-GLDC carries out research activities through five Flagship Programs (FP) – each with three to four Cluster of Activities – in 13 priority countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
Flagship Program 1: Priority Setting and Impact Acceleration
Goal: Ensure that Grain Legumes and Dryland Cereals research is demand-driven, outcome-focused, inclusive and scalable with high potential for large impact contributing to the CGIAR Strategy and Results Framework and System Level Outcomes.
Flagship Program 1 has four Cluster of Activities:
- Foresight, climate change analysis and priority setting
- Value chains, markets and drivers of adoption
- Enhancing gender integration and social inclusion in the drylands
- Enabling environments and scaling to accelerate impact
Flagship Program 2: Transforming Agri-food Systems
Goal: Strengthen agri-food system mechanisms to respond and adapt to context-specific and evolving needs of women, men and young farmers, value chain and governance actors.
FP2 has three Cluster of Activities:
- Incubating and unlocking opportunities at scale
- Tools, models and processes to support at-scale innovation
- Systems analysis and learning for at-scale innovation
Flagship Program 3: Integrated Farm and Household Management
Goal: Improve the profitability, productivity and sustainability of smallholder farming systems using on-farm and in-household innovation to ensure household nutritional security and enhanced income generation through integrated crop, tree and livestock production systems.
FP3 has three Cluster of Activities:
- Cropping systems management
- Innovations for managing abiotic and biotic stresses
- Testing, adapting and validating options
Flagship Program 4: Variety and Hybrid Development
Goal: High-yielding, nutrient-dense and market-preferred GLDC varieties and hybrids are locally available and utilized by women, men and young farmers and value chain actors.
FP4 has four Cluster of Activities:
- Environmental characterization and phenotyping
- Breeding pipelines
- Product testing and release
- Science of scaling up seed technologies
Flagship Program 5: Pre-breeding and Trait Discovery
Goal: Widen the genetic base of GLDC crops and provide an extensive tool kit of modern genomics, genetic enhancement, breeding tools and high precision phenotyping for efficient breeding.
FP5 has three Cluster of Activities:
- Trait discovery
- Enabling technologies