FLAGSHIP PROGRAM 2 (FP2): Transforming Agri-Food Systems
Progress during 2018
The goal of FP2 is to strengthen agri-food system mechanisms to respond and adapt to context-specific and evolving needs of women, men and young farmers, and value chain and governance actors. It will deliver on multiple System Level Outcomes (SLOs) by catalyzing agri-food system changes that stimulate and support the expansion of production, value addition and trading of dryland cereals and legumes. To achieve these goals, FP2 will actively support agri-food system stakeholders in achieving the following objectives:
- The development, adaptation and application of a range of decision support, business development, systems analysis and stakeholder engagement tools needed to unlock dryland cereal and legume utilization opportunities.
- Improved capacity of agri-food system stakeholders to use the aforementioned tools.
- The development, in collaboration with key agri-food systems actors and stakeholders, of business models, organizational and institutional innovations, and partnerships and governance arrangements that link farmers to input and output markets and that support the development of equitable, transparent and sustainable value chains.
- The establishment of functional links between emerging consumer and other agri-food system demands and crop improvement and related production and post-production research.
- An assessment of the social, economic and environmental impacts of FP2’s agri-food system interventions and implications for future investment and the policy-enabling environment.
- Development of scalable lessons on the suite of tools, interventions, capacities and processes that are effective in realizing dryland legume and cereal utilization opportunities in ways that are catalytic in agri-food systems transformation in different contexts.
- Promote agribusiness opportunities and scale-out models using the Innovation Fund that can address the gaps and enhanced market participation of smallholder farming communities in the value chain.
FP2 intends to achieve impact through provision of underpinning research expertise to scale-out partners that seek systemic change and the development of integrated design solutions to address market gaps and enhance market opportunities.
The Flagship envisions positive impact on beneficiaries across different segments of value chains in the target countries. The various segments of the beneficiaries are conservatively estimated to be in the range of: (i) 1,000,000 women and children benefitting from exploring Agri-Food Systems opportunities in terms of improved nutrition; (ii) 400,000 farm women labor benefitting from improved postharvest technologies; (iii) 800,000 households and 5,000 traders using improved post-harvest handling and storage technologies, (iv) benefits from entrepreneurship development and diverse enterprise opportunities will benefit Small and Medium Entrepreneurs (SME) – 1,000; (v) 10,000 young people – in particular young women – trained on business development skills; and (vii) 1,000 value chain stakeholders benefitting due to new linkage of processors to markets. These shall feed into the SLOs towards achieving the overall targets as part of achieving the Intermediate Development Outcomes (IDOs) aligned to the CGIAR SRF.
The Cluster of Activities include:
- Incubating and unlocking opportunities at scale
- Tools, models and processes to support at-scale innovation
- Systems analysis and learning for at-scale innovation